Hello everyone! So If you are like me your hair is coarse and super thick, just to give you some sort of picture of how thick my hair is I can easily go through a 15 ounce bottle of conditioner in 4 uses when detangling my hair while I am wearing twistouts! And it would be understandable if I had super long hair but my hair is just above my shoulders, anyway it is super coarse on top of that which can be a nightmare to straighten. But I have pretty much mastered it, so now I will pass my knowledge on to you, lets begin!
DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE JUST THE THINGS I DO TO STRAIGHTEN MY HAIR AND THESE TIPS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU. BUT HOPEFULLY THEY DO!
This is what I go through on a wash day, on days where I have already straightened my hair I do not go through all of these steps. Note: If I am going from a protective style to a straight one I detangle before washing.
1. First I wash and condition my hair with Sauve's Natural Infusion Macadamia Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner, I typically shy away form shampoos with sulfates in them but this one is just uh-mazing! I leave my conditioner in anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.
2. After shampooing and conditioning, I deep condition which is a must at all time but especially when heat styling. My current favorite is Africa's Best Hair Mayonnaise, it works super well and is very affordable, I apply this to my entire head. Then I massage it into my scalp, after that I comb it through with my Conair detangling comb for curly hair, next put a plastic cap over your head and pump up the blow dryer!
3. I put my blow dryer on high and swirl it all around my head, I just want to make sure that the heat gets all over my head. I do this for about five minutes and sometimes I will take a break and come back to it because running a blow dryer over your head can get quite tiring for your arms! I leave this in anywhere from 1 hour to several hours
4. After I have deep conditioned my hair I rinse my it out, and wrap the towel around my head to dry my hair for about 20 minutes. If I take my hair down and it is still drenching wet, I rub it over my head very quickly because towels can cause damage to coarse hair. A better alternative would be a t-shirt.
Now I am going to split step 5 up into two parts, part a and part b
5a. Now this is for the girls who don't mind a little extra heat styling, apply your heat protectant in preparation for blow drying the hair, for blow drying I like Suave's Keratin Infusion Heat Defense Leave-In Conditioner. I feel that heat protectants that have a creamy consistency work better on coarse hair while it is still in its coarse state. Next I split the hair into four sections and apply the heat protectant and comb it through each section, after that I blow dry my hair on low (since it is mostly dry) on the cool setting while simultaneously running my comb through it.
5b. Now this is for the girls that prefer to use as little heat as possible. I would still part my hair into 4 sections, next I apply the heat protectant and comb it through each section. That's all for this step if you don't want to blow dry!
6. Once your hair is completely dry, put it back into those 4 sections and apply more heat protectant (if you air dried your hair there is no need to repeat this step.) After you've applied the heat protectant keep your hair in those same 4 sections.
7. Now it is time to to start straightening! I set my flat iron to 375°F, I always start straightening from the back. I take a small section from one of the two sections in the back and take about a fourth of that section and begin flat ironing it (you might have to split the sections from your big section into smaller or bigger ones depending on thickness).
8. Now when I get to the two front sections, I take smaller pieces of hair from those sections but I split those sections into 2 or 3 more sections.
Yay! Your hair should be straight now, I hope you got the results you wanted. Please let me know if this worked for you and also let me know if you have any questions in the comments. I will link my Luvocracy account below would you can take a look at all the things I mentioned in this post, they will all be in my hair collection on Luvocracy.
Thank you for reading and be beautiful! (^_^)